Saturday, July 30, 2016

A little off-topic...


For those of you that know me, you're aware that I got really involved in the hobby of metal detecting after I retired. I'm hooked. If it's nice out, I'm out in a park or the yard of an old property looking for old coins, jewelry, relics from the past...just about anything. It gets me outside and moving, which makes my wife very happy; she was afraid I'd become a permanent resident in my recliner, watching TV all day

It's been a very rewarding venture also, one that isn't measured in dollars and cents. My first cool recovery was that of a railroad switch lock in the spring of 2014, along the old rail bed across State Route 39 from Loudonville High School. The tracks and ties had been removed long ago; all that is left is the gravel bed and berm. It's a Wilson-Bohannon lock; I researched it, and found that it had been manufactured in 1930 in Brooklyn, New York. I'd called the company, which is now headquartered in Marion, Ohio to get some history on this lock, finding that they have their catalogues online dating back to the late 1800s. They asked if I'd donate it to their lobby display; it's still here at Ram Field Ranch. I just couldn't part with it.

Since that time I've detected hundreds upon hundreds of hours and dug thousands of holes in Mother Earth, rewarded with some really sweet items: an 1827 Large Cent, which was produced during the presidency of John Quincy Adams; South Park has given me an 1865 two cent piece; Liberty Park provided an undated Standing Liberty Quarter, 1942 Walking Liberty half dollar, Indian head cents from the 1880s, a sterling silver ring and countless wheat cents; area schools have given me three gold rings...in other words, I think it's time well spent. I use an All-Terrain Pro detector, otherwise known as the AT Pro, made by Garrett Detectors in Garland, Texas. It's the same model used by Tim Saylor and George Wyant on the NatGeo TV show 'Diggers', one that allows me to hunt on dry land, in lakes, streams and even salt water, and I love it. You can watch videos of my metal detectign adventures here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3EBhEhX8q4RZqdyWJx4Vaw

Imagine my dismay last week when my metal detector started acting up; crazy readings and tones, even when held straight up in the air. I checked my purchase paperwork, noting that the AT Pro has a two-year warranty...and I was twenty-four days past the expiration. Less than a month!

I sent the customer service department at Garrett an email, pleading for mercy; repairing a metal detector can get pricey real quick. The next day they replied: they would cover it under warranty as long as they received it before August 1st. I FedExed it the next morning and it arrived there today.

Why am I telling you this tale? It's simple.

Garrett is an American company, one that takes pride in their products. For them to agree to repair my machine free of charge, even though it was out of warranty, speaks volumes of this company. It's probably also part of the reason why Garrett detectors are the most popular machines on the market, too.

 For now, I'm like the kid waiting on Christmas morning to arrive, waiting impatiently for my AT Pro to re-enter my life. I've been lost without it.

Just ask my wife.


No comments:

Post a Comment