Monday, November 6, 2017

A Journey To Reunite


This story will be a little different, one like no other I've ever pursued. It will involve research, though to what extent remains to be seen, in an effort to locate family of a World War II veteran.

Just this morning I met long-time acquaintance Trina Browning-Niznik, a gal I've known since she was a youngster and I was pals with her older brother, at a local Tim Horton's. Trina now lives in Florida and had contacted me in September about stacks of mail from the 1940s she'd come across at an auction; she was in town this weekend to visit family and brought the correspondence with her. The letters and memorabilia, you see, are from a serviceman to his family; since I write profiles for area veterans Trina thought I might be interested in trying to track down this man's family in order to return the items to them.

I jumped at the chance.

While this may consume much of my time it will be a labor of love, a project well worthy of any effort it may involve. I have yet to read any of the correspondence, from a time just before the United States entered WW II and also when this nation was at war with both Japan and Germany, and I relish the chance to live through these letters the lives of those involved, to gain a sense of the service and sacrifice this soldier made. In the days and weeks to come I will update this story, so stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment