Thursday, May 21, 2020

A Rare Trait Nowadays


Benjamin Franklin, one of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence, once said, "Honesty is the best policy". I'm not sure in what context he made that statement, but who can disagree with logic of that nature? Even the Ten Commandments says that we shall not bear false witness....which means lie. They also admonish theft, among other things.

Since ol' Ben walked this earth, much has changed. He wouldn't recognize the America we live in today, in this pandemic-induce trampling of our Constitutional rights era.

With that being said, I'm going to tell you a feel-good story, which should be a refreshing change from the conflict-laden news cycles trumpeting daily from our televisions.

I ran out to a big-box outlet store earlier to pick up bagged mulch, as it'll soon be time to plant flowers in the landscaping and I want to be ready. As I loaded up what I needed, my mind was occupied by an assortment of thoughts: ' the Maytag repairman is due at our place between 2PM and 4PM; do I need to pick up dog food for Roscoe? Geez, I sure hope this drizzly, rainy weather breaks soon so I can steal away for a few hours to go metal detecting; hey, gas is up to $1.99 a gallon.... '

After finishing loading, I headed towards home, those thoughts still ricocheting off the inside of my skull even as I walked into the Circle K a mile from the house.

The clerk, a young guy behind the hanging plexiglas screen at the register, asked what I needed.

"One can of Skoal Extra-Mint pouches, please."

"Yes sir, coming right up..."

I withdrew the folded bills from my pocket, my mind still wondering if I needed to stop and get dog food. I handed the clerk a $5 bill as he pushed the requested product towards me on the counter top. The youngster rang up my purchase, rattling coins in the coin return signaling it completion. As I pocketed them, I told the employee to have a great day and walked away.

"SIR! SIR! Your change!"

I turned and saw him holding fifteen dollars in five dollar bills, arm extended toward me.

I had given him a twenty instead of a five! 

My preoccupation had nearly cost me. How easily could he have just pocketed that $15 ?

As I collected the bills, I snatched one and handed it back to him. "This is for your honesty."

The clerk thanked me as I smiled inside, knowing that his mother had raised him right and he had just had what should be a tenet of our society reinforced.

Honesty is, indeed, a virtue.







No comments:

Post a Comment