Saturday, January 16, 2021

Covid...A Term I Never Want To Hear Again

 Several times across my sixty-four years on this earth I've gotten absolutely sick of an assortment of words and terms, most often because of their repetitiveness and over-saturation in society.

Disco comes to mind. Hillary. Star Wars. Global warming, which morphed into climate change. Hanging chads.

More recently? Social justice warrior, or SJW. Politically correct. 

Now comes Covid 19.

Turn on the television or radio and you're guaranteed to hear that word within 15 minutes. It dominates the news and social media, platforms in which everyone is an expert while simultaneously being astoundingly ignorant.

Mask up. Slow the spread. Flatten the curve. Lockdown.

My wife, especially since she's employed in the medical field, stringently followed Covid protocols...yet still came down with the virus. Thankfully a very mild version, as her only symptoms resembled a head cold.

She's fully recovered now and has been back to work for a week. Simultaneous with her infection, though, I was quarantined from participating in cardiac rehab until she got clearance to go back to work. 

I went back for exactly one day, Monday the 11th of January.

That evening the China virus decided to hit me.

Suspecting the worst, I went and got tested on Tuesday; Wednesday, the nurse practitioner called and advised that the test had returned as inconclusive and inquired if I would be so kind as to return to the testing site and have my nasal passages vigorously violated once again?

I did and this time there was no doubt....I have the virus. I don't really feel all that bad, though, suffering a low-grade fever off-and-on, its highest temp having been 99.7, but the headache has been the worst. I'm also occasionally coughing but not with any consistency. I notified my physician, Dr. Becker, who is setting me up with something called monoclonal infusion. No scientist am I, but it has something to do with introducing Covid antibodies into my system, which is supposed to keep symptoms minimal. President Trump underwent that treatment as part of protocol and he was back to work in four days.

We'll see.

Meanwhile, I'll keep downing Ibuprofen every few hours, watching TV and tending to the stove.

Geez, can't believe I still hate disco so much...


No comments:

Post a Comment